Thursday, December 21, 2006

Mother's lullaby

My beautiful mom would always sing me songs. But not regular nursery rhymes were these. She would sing me beautiful classics from the 70s onwards. I grew up listening to her singing me songs, which I treasure to this date. I can confidently say, I would never have developed the kind of liking for music that I have, if not for my mom.

Let me list out a few great numbers that she sang to me, and why they hold a place so very close to my heart.

  • Angelo *- Brotherhood Of Man

A very very touching song. If you listen carefully to the lyrics, it will break your heart. Its all about a rich girl and a Shepard boy "Angelo", who fall in love, and elope knowing they wouldn't be accepted. They keep running, and end their lives so they can be together forever. Still induces a tear, this.

  • Lullaby- Billy Joel

Another great song. Mom used to sing this before I slept. Hear it and you will know why. I used to listen to several Billy Joel songs, but none more than:

  • The River of Dreams*

A beaut of a song. Just brilliant. The backing vocals are superb.

Try these songs by the same great artist:

  • Two Thousand years
  • We didn't start the fire*
  • My Life*
  • Honesty

I shall now mention a song that I am crazy about, and those of you who haven't heard it are seriously missing something:

Bohemian Rhapsody*

This song(can it be called a song??) by Queen, is one of THE best pieces ever made in rock history, and not many are going to disagree.

An absolute stunner, it twists and turns, and slows and speeds. Words cannot describe this song. It has every element in it- rock, orchestra, opera, melody, etc.

When Freddy Mercury died of AIDS, my mom cried while listening to this song. You can see how much she loves her music.

Thanx Ma.

1 comment:

lats said...

I am so thrilled that you have such a great memory of the little stuff(nicer stuff!!!).
you were quite hyper and got into lot of trouble at times.
Like I always claim thank God I was ignorant of a condition called ADHD....
memories dont leave like people do..... goes a song By Englebert.H