Wednesday, December 6, 2006

The First Beats

The 80s. Heightened by the pop scene, bands sprung from every nook and corner, sporting out of the world hair dos and wacky costumes. It was the era where appearance and showbiz took the driving seat away from the music. It was the era of MTV. Jazzy pop videos with psychedelic colors and guys clicking their fingers together, while their image moves around in circles around the screen. A lot of music from this decade suffered from lack of genuine music talent, but instead was replaced by smart and attractive videos. Don't get me wrong, there was a lot of good music here too! I was born in the middle of this decade, but didn't feel its musical impact till i entered the 90s. So what did I get out of the 80s?

Born in Hyderabad, and moving quickly onto Bombay(Mumbai), I was first drawn towards music by a movie which i still love deeply. A movie of such brilliance, that now when i watch hindi movies, I shudder in realisation of what has gone wrong. A movie so pure, so touching, so musically perfect, that it would always leave me in tears.

Qayamat se Qayamat Tak.
Right from the start where Aamir Khan rolls onto the stage singing Papa Kehte Hain, to running through the woods, melodiously singing Akele Hain, and upto the end where "Raj" kills himself, and a slow, extremely sad rendition of Papa Kehte The belts out- the movie proves to be a masterpiece.

Although I am heavily averse to hindi music at present, I cannot thank this movie enough. Thank it for leading me to the path, for being the perfect ingress to my musical discovery.

Every song on this soundtrack is a beaut:

  • Akele Hain
  • Ey Mere Humsafar
  • Gazab Ka Hai Din
  • Kahe Sataye
  • Papa Kehte Hain
http://ww.smashits.com/music/hindi-film/songs/1210/qayamat-se-qayamat-tak.html

The movie released in 1988, and I was 5. My sister was born in the same year, and was named "Juhi"- Juhi Chawla playing the heroine in the movie.
I would prance around and sing these songs all day long. I must have seen this movie a thousand times. I still do. Let me state that my hindi is atrocious, hence the aversion. But this movie is something different. Something special.

1 comment:

lats said...

Hey Kid,
Great reading your blog.
wow! it was a rush of sweet memories. Will be looking forward to all your posts. Did you know that we went watch the special viewing of QSQT. We also had the video because pops company had advertised in it. Everone who came home got to see the movie and ofcourse we watched it as many times. It will be intersting to read what u write about 1994 Hindi Music countdown u listned to before joining RV