Monday, December 11, 2006

Classical Enchantment

With the inroads into the world of theater paved, it was time to experiment with Classical music. I suddenly discovered a wild passion for the piano, and having gotten a keyboard for Christmas, I was pounding away on the keys like a baby Beethoven. The keyboard had a button which emulated a clapping sound, and I would play my symphony and then press the button a few hundred times, whilst bowing in appreciation. That's all I would do. bang the keys like someone from the stone ages, and feed off the adulation from the appreciative audience.

Sigh. Some dreams don't turn into reality. But I find that amusing. What does turn to reality, I couldn't have even dreamt of. That's the best part.

Back to the music. I distinctly remember having a small Walkman, and at the time I was learning to ride a bicycle. My mom and I would hit the streets, I would ride the bike, and she would walk. We walked along the beach, and I would plug in my Walkman and listen to recorded tapes of Mozart, Bach and Beethoven.

Ludwig van Beethoven- The master. He went deaf. What a terrible way to end up, if you are a composer. When he went deaf, he thought something was wrong with his piano, and he chopped into bits with an axe. The realisation must have hurt deeply. Even before he went deaf, he suffered from paranoia, his 5th symphony being the point of interest. What a haunting piece of brilliance.

  • 5th Symphony
  • 9th Symphony
  • Moonlight Sonata

Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart and Johann Sebastian Bach are another two great composers and pianists. Try any or all of their compositions.

1 comment:

lats said...

I remember a tape that Mr. MacManus had gifted you. it was Debussy or Tchaikovsky. the music was the most amazing! you would play it over and over.